Saturday 3 August 2013

My First elf Order - First Impressions

Since I came on the blogging scene I have heard lots of good things about elf. I kept thinking about placing an order but the final push came when they had a 60% off everything sale! This is my first order and first impressions of the items I chose, due to the huge sale there were quite a few things I wanted that were out of stock so I may place another order at another time.


Firstly, I can't believe how much I got for money! Due to the sale I got all of the above items for £14.55, including postage! The first thing I notice is that I ordered from two ranges; the basic range and the studio. The quality of the studio products is much higher, including the quality of the packaging.


Firstly, eye products. I had initially logged on because I wanted a 100 colour palette. When I searched the site I discovered this smaller palette and decided it was more suited to my needs because I rarely use coloured eyeshadows!

48pc Little Black Beauty Book - Cool Edition £8
I'm not very adventurous with eyeshadows but I thought this would be fun to have a play about with. The packaging is lovely and closes to look like a wee book. The colours are small but sufficient. I have swatched a few colours and the pigmentation seems ok although not fantastic.

Lengthening and Defining Mascara £1.50
This is a cheap, basic mascara but I though I'd give it a go. The tube is really thin so I can't see there being much product but I like the look of the brush.

Brightening Eye Colour - Ethereal £1.50
These are the shades I use on a daily basis so thought it would be handy to have them altogether in a small version for my makeup bag.


Beauty Book - Smokey Look £6
This is the product I'm most happy with. It contains 6 shadows, primer, an applicator and an eyeliner. On the other page there are instructions for a day look and a night look using the kit. The packaging of this is of good quality and the shadows are fairly pigmented. I'm really looking forward to experimenting with this.


Lip Primer and Plumper £3.75
I'm really looking forward to giving this a go because I haven't used anything like this before. This is a 2-ended product with primer on one side and plumper on the other. The idea is that you use it as a base and top coat for lipstick. Again this is a studio product and the packaging feels sturdy.

Lipstick - Flirtatious £1.50
Really like the look of this colour, it is a coral-pink. Good price for a lipstick and the packaging is decent. 



Clarifying Pressed Powder - Light Beige £1.50
This powder comes with a pad which I don't use but is a nice touch. The packaging of this feels fairly flimsy so I won't be throwing it in my handbag anytime soon.

All Over Cover Stick - Lilac Petal £1.50
I haven't tried an all over colour before so I though I'd start of with this one. The colour is a lovely delicate pink.

Shimmer Palette £3.75
I'm really happy with this one. The 4 coloured creams are gorgeous and will be great for highlighting. This is another studio product and the packaging is great.

Overall I am really happy with my order. I got so much for my money and I can't wait to try it all out. In the future I think I'm likely to stick to the studio products. They are a little pricier so much better quality.
Prices shown are before the sale discount.

If you would like me to do a full review of anything of these, please request it in the comments box :)

20 comments:

  1. I can't believe the price you got all of this for! I've never tried ELF but I would love to :) x

    http://theressomethingaboutalice.blogspot.co.uk

    CHECK OUT MY GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's an absolute bargain!!! X

      Delete
  2. ELF is fab! I've used them for years and always swear by them. You've got some brilliant products there :) x

    http://thebeautyofthis.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried so many of their products. The lipsticks are nice! The only Elf products that haven't worked for me are all of their concealers. I've got like 5 different ones :/ But the rest are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really use concealer but when I do I have my Accessorize palette! X

      Delete
  4. The beauty book looks gorgeous, I've never tried any Elf products before but I've always been really intrigued!

    www.crazylins.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah it's lovely, can't wait to get using it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a lot of the time ELF is pretty hit and miss but the things i really like are the lipsticks they are pretty awesome for the price i mean £1+ or £3 its just great and the pigment is something i would never have thought from that either

    www.andrewjamesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you are right, I used my lipstick yesterday and I was really pleased with it
      Thanks for commenting :)
      X

      Delete
  7. I had to hunt down your other E.L.F post after seeing your powder review.

    I cannot believe what a bargain you got! I haven't ever tried E.L.F either but I think that I might be more on the lookout for cheaper products with good quality.

    Thanks for opening my eyes to a new brand! Did your package take long to arrive and was anything damaged? I am always dubious about buying eyeshadows/blush/powders online incase they arrive smashed.

    Ellie xx

    www.littlered26.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took about a week so not the best tbh.
      Everything arrived safely though in a big box which was lined with stuffing, nothing was damaged xx

      Delete
  8. I've ordered once from ELF and wasn't at all impressed, I felt you get what you pay for.. although one of the brushes I ordered from there I still use and think it's quite good!! Those eyeshadows look like they will look amazing on! :) xx

    laurathinksabout.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wondered about quality, that's why I waited til the sale to order, but actually I'm pretty impressed. I'm loving the lipstick I bought. X

      Delete
  9. I've never bought anything from ELF before, I was worried about the quality but these look pretty nice! I might try and buy a few make up brushes if I can!

    ps I love your blog and have nominated you for a Liebster award! :) http://alwaysalwaysunpresentable.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/the-liebster-award/#more-1284

    Gillian xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I fancy trying the brushes too.
      Thanks Hun il check it out xx

      Delete
  10. A while ago I bought loads of ELF products from the basic line, but I wasn't too impressed. But my parents bought me the 100 colour palette and I love it!

    Just shows how the products vary in quality, but everything's so cheap it doesn't matter!

    I can't believe you got all that for just under £15 though - bargain!!!

    Http://www.beccasfashionandlife.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! It was one amazing sale! Have to say I'm really happy with the lipstick I bought too x

      Delete
  11. Ah I really want to buy lots of elf products, they had a 50% everything yesterday but most of their stock was sold out, booo.
    Lovely blog :)

    Daisie Petals
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it sells out so quickly when there is an offer on!!! X

      Delete

I read every comment and will reply if you have a question :)